19 Jul Avoid Gun Accidents, Follow Gun Safety
In recent news, it was reported that a father accidentally shot his son while target shooting. The son, who was 27 years old, stepped into the line of fire. His father accidentally shot him and the 27 year old son did not survive the incident. We, at Anarchy Outdoors, send out condolences to this family. It is a tragedy that must be incomprehensible to bear.
While this family is suffering a tragic loss, it brings to light the topic of gun safety. It doesn’t matter how old you are or how experienced with guns you are, we all need to take the time to review gun safety. Check out our top six tips below.
- Always treat a gun as if it were loaded. This cannot be stressed enough. If you are handling a gun, even if you “know” that it is unloaded, treat it as if it were. This will keep you in the mind set that you are holding a weapon that can potentially kill another person.
- Always point the gun a a safe direction. The muzzle of the gun should always be pointed in a direction where no one will be hurt if it was fired. A typical suggestion to to simply keep the gun, loaded or unloaded, pointed at the ground. This will keep those nearby safe.
- Always keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. A gun is a serious weapon that can cause serious harm or even death. When handling the gun, the best safety is not the safety on the gun, but your own finger. Do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. When you are ready to fire your gun, you should always check to make sure you know where the others are and to make sure that the target is clear. If there is anyone in front of you or in the line of fire, do not shoot until it is clear.
- Always know how to properly operate your gun. You should be familiar with your gun or any gun you are about to shoot. You should know how to properly load, unload, and clear a malfunction from your gun. Not all guns are the same, so take the time to get familiar with the firearm you will be shooting.
- Always store your gun safely and securely to prevent unauthorized use. When you are not using your gun, it should be secured. The best way to prevent accidents is to have you gun in a place that is not easily accessible. This will prevent any unauthorized use and help you have peace of mind.At Anarchy Outdoors, we enjoy target shooting but we understand that gun safety should never be overlooked. Each time you use a gun, remember our six tips for gun safety.